Taken from the 1960s Student Handbook of Newport High School
The popular clothing fashion for high school girls is clean, simple dresses, or blouses and skirts and bobbysoxer. Many girls wear flats to make their outfit look dressier.
The boys usually wear clean blue jeans, cords, peggers, and comfortable tee shirts or sports shirts. The most important thing is cleanliness. It doesn’t matter how simple your outfit is, if it is clean.
The high school student usually wears his school clothes to most of the school games and parties, unless otherwise specified.
The following are to be considered as violations of proper hall conduct:
1. Running in the halls.
2. Scuffling in the halls.
3. Abusing school property.
4. Throwing paper or other articles on the floor.
5. Unnecessary obstructing the halls or loitering in the halls between classes.
6. Failure to keep to the right.
7. Demonstrations of affection between boy and girl beyond that of holding hands, and this can be offensive when overdone.
8. There shall be no eating in the halls at any time; when a candy sale or something of that nature is in progress, consumers are to eat in room of food sale.